Hello? Is this thing on??
I haven’t written in nearly a month, so I thought I’d just write something while I have some time to kill. This summer’s been cool so far. I’ve just been chilling with family and friends, catching up on my Netflix queue, eating at all my favorite hometown spots, and living life as a working woman.
I thought I’d share some of my favorite things this summer. Feel free to check some of them out and tell me what you think 🙂
What I’m Watching:
- Master of None (season 2): I fell in love with Master of None‘s first season back in 2015 and I’ve been a fan of the series ever since! I love Aziz Ansari’s comedic style and I was drawn to his stand up comedy and role as Tom Haverford on Parks and Recreation. It’s been cool to see him star is his own series. It’s been great to see him in a role that’s so different from Tom Haverford and to see him in his element. Master of None is (in my humble opinion) one of the best shows out there right now. The cinematography, representation (i.e. watch the “New York, I Love You” episode), music, humor, and honesty are refreshing. The characters are real. I missed having Master of None in my life, so I binge watched season 2 in a day, so I’m impatiently awaiting season 3.
- I Am Not Your Negro: Shoutout to my friend Morgan for letting me use her Prime Account 🙂
What I’m Listening To:
- SZA’s new album, Cntrl: I was a little late in discovering SZA’s music, but man am I so glad I did. SZA’s music just exudes confidence, authenticity, originality, and it’s so refreshing to see female artists who hold nothing back and don’t fit the music industry’s mold for them. SZA’s also the only female artist on Top Dawg Entertainment’s label- the same label Kung Fu Kenny is signed to!
It’s such a smooth album to put on and absorb every detail in the lyricism and production. I’ve been listening to it more times than I can remember.
- Lorde’s sophomore album, Melodrama: Lorde is one of my all time favorite artists. It’s been a long time coming waiting for her follow up album, but I’m so glad it’s here. I’m slowly digesting the album and figuring out what songs I like, but Lorde somehow perfectly captures what it means to be coming of age, falling in out of love, and falling in and out of love with yourself.
Also… I’ll have to pick Pure Heroine over her new album. There’s something untouchable about that album for me.
- Dua Lipa’s self-titled debut album: Dua Lipa is finally having her moment in the U.S. and I’m so excited for more people to discover her music. If you’re not into pop music, then you might not be too interested, but I suggest giving it a listen. I was first introduced to her when she opened at the Troye Sivan concert last year. When I got back home after the concert, I looked up her music on Spotify and I’ve been jamming ever since.
—- I’m looking forward to Haim’s sophomore album next month, Foster the People’s third album (date: TBD), and I’m excited to check out 2Chainz new album.What I’m Reading:
- A New Model by Ashley Graham: My sister suprised me with this book because she knew it was on my book wishlist. Ashley Graham is an inspiration to me and I’ve loved watching her journey in becoming the powerhouse she is today. Regardless of your size or gender, I recommend reading about a phenomenal woman who’s changing the game.
- * I planned to read one book a week and that hasn’t happened yet, but… I have a list that I’m slowly making my way through. Up Next: Full Frontal Feminism per my sister’s bookshelf.
What I’m Wearing:
- I’ll be honest for a second. I feel as though I’m slowly losing my fashion sense. I went shopping the other day in one of my favorite stores and nothing really caught my eye, but I am into the bandana neck scarf trend at the moment. I’ve always been a fan of rocking a bandana because they’re so versatile.
So if you cared about any of my favorite summery things (or not), thanks for reading if you’ve made it this far!
happy (almost) summer,